Planning a Special Event? There’s Insurance for That.

Post written by Scott Pearson, General Manager at Krueger & James Insurance/Christian/Civil War Nerd/Future Scratch Golfer

Scott Pearson

Scott Pearson

Your mom and dad’s 50th wedding anniversary is coming up.

Your sister’s home is much larger than yours but it’s still not as large as you need.

The date is late January so an outside event won’t work.

Your church is booked so about your only option is The American Legion Hall or that cute event place downtown.

You make two calls and the Legion Hall is much less expensive so you book the date.

The lady tells you she’ll send you the paperwork to sign.

Great! That’s crossed off your list.

Next decision…sushi or chicken strips?

A few days later you get the paperwork from the Legion Hall. Yes, the price is the same as quoted. Yep, the date is correct.

But wait a minute. What are they talking about…what’s this “Special Event Insurance”?

$1,000,000 limit? Adding the American Legion as an “Additional Insured”? You think they must be kidding. Unfortunately they aren’t.

In this and many other situations, you can call your home insurance agent and he/she will likely tell you that your homeowners insurance won’t cover you for an event away from your premises. Your agent may be able to get you a quote, but it will likely be around $250 for the day. And if you have an open bar, you’re also required to carry Liquor Liability coverage and that’s another $100. And then the legion needs to be named as an “Additional Insured”. Tack on another $50.

Has this ever happened to you?

In the future, if you’re ever planning a special event away from your home, give us a call at 816-471-4245 and we’ll help educate you on what other options may be available.